Matt's Online Journalism Blog

Thursday, March 02, 2006

So I want to use a quiz?

After looking at all the positives and negatives of using quizzes as a form of online journalism, I have decided to see what I would feel would be the most effective way to make a quiz if I was to make one.

The quiz would ideally be used in a topic which has lots of facts which we would like to get the audience to know. It would also need to be of interest to the target audience. For example, if there was a news article about Bird Flu, a quiz would work quite well. It would enable us to feed fact to our audience in a more interactive way, and is a topical story.

When beginning to actually make the quiz, I would need to think about the 'technical side' of things. Will I want to make the quiz is simply by using HTML, or would it benefit me and the audience more by using something such as Flash. Several examples I have given in this blog have used Flash, and some haven't. I think although the audience would have to install the Flash plugin to take part in the survey, it is a great way to make the quiz look unique and more entertaining. Quizzes which 'round up the week's news' on Guardian Unlimited seem to work well, but I think for this example I will decide to use Macromedia Flash. Loading times will need to be taken into consideration, as if we use too many images/sounds within the quiz - it will be slow for the users to use.

I would of course need to research into what questions (and the answers hopefully!) I will be using. They need to relate specifically to the news story and can help deliver facts and figures. Also any images would need to be found or created to accompany the quiz.

Something to think about would be how I want the answers to be displayed, and how this will benefit the audience the most. One example I have used (The Beatles quiz - http://archives.cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/04/
beatles/index.html
) gave the answers in a text box. Although this worked well because the user sees the correct answer, it doesn't work as well because it doesn't give overall results. The White Sox quiz (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/baseball/
whitesox_quiz/flash.htm
) does this also, but gives an overall results, which makes it seem a little more fun when taking part in the quiz. I believe that producing a quiz about something like Bird Flu would work well by displaying the correct answer if a wrong one is selected, with a little more information next to the answer. It would be ideal to produce some sort of results at the end of the quiz, which could also be submitted to the web site for statistical data, similar to the BBC Olympic Game quiz - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3529118.stm)

And that’s my guide to making a successful quiz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home